Wednesday 9 December 2009

Is your image damaging your business?

I met this guy out networking the other day. His business involves working at a corporate level, going into businesses and advising them on how to improve certain internal processes (I shall be vague to avoid potential embarrassment).

His business cards contain the font 'Comic Sans' (that 'friendly and approachable' font which definitely needs to be eradicated - www.bancomicsans.com), the colours have been picked from the the 80's, the layout is amateurish and they are printed on shoddy card which is curling at the edges.

I cannot help asking myself 'how seriously does he take his business?' followed very quickly by 'how seriously do others take his business?' 


In short, how much is his image damaging his business?

Clearly I have no proof that he is damaging his business. He could be a millionaire for all I know! But what I am confident of is that people subconsciously form opinions of our business and our business ethics and approach from the way we look - from our business card right through to how we dress and present ourselves.

In today's competitive world and fragile economics, why would you want to create extra hurdles for your business? Why would you want to create the wrong impression? And if there were an opportunity to change this, why would you not take it?

Design isn't about 'making things pretty' and it shouldn't be an afterthought. There's a good reason why you should invest in design and it's measured in one thing. COLD. HARD. CASH.





Image courtesy of www.baddesignkills.com







No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Anything to add? I'd love to hear from you. And if you like my blog, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share it on Twitter or Google+ it.