Friday 12 August 2011

7 tips for achieving your goals


I finally bought my horse this week.

This has been a lifelong dream and my main motivation for being self-employed since I figured I'd have better control over what I can earn and what hours I work - both useful prerequisites of horse ownership!

What is interesting about achieving this life goal this year is that when I wrote down this year's personal goals at the start of the year, buying a horse was on that list. In fact, throughout my life, my lists have lead to me buying my first car, buying my house, buying my business... so on and so forth.

So, what is it about the power of the written word when it comes to achieving your goals?

A recent study conducted by the Dominican University supported the positive effect of written goals: those who wrote their goals down accomplished significantly more than those who did not write their goals. 

So, here are my 7 tips on goal achievement:

1. Write down your goals - this makes them tangible and real and helps provide focus.

2. Tell your friends and family about your goals - this creates accountability and you'll be more inclined to provide updates on where you're up to which is hugely motivational.

3. Break each goal down into manageable chunks - a big goal can be overwhelming and might only be achieved through other smaller goals being achieved. Work it back to achieving the smaller goals and the overall goal tends to happen organically.

4. Make your goals SMART - that's specific, measureable, agreed, realistic & time-based. Just writing down a list of your life's desires will not always turn into reality (although it still increases your chances) but planning each goal in detail will help with point 3.

5. Create visible reminders of your goal - if you're a procrastinator like me, you'll need visual prompts to motivate you. I've had a picture of me riding as my laptop screen background which has triggered conversation with clients about why it's there!

6. Review your goals regularly - maybe once a quarter to see how you're getting on and to make any neccesary changes to the grand plan.

7. Tell everyone once you've achieved your goal - you'll find people will celebrate in your achievement and crucially, it is also self-affirming to acknowledge that you have achieved yet another one of your goals!



So, with this in mind, here's a picture of my beautiful boy... all I need to do now is set another goal that will allow me to afford his huge food bills!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Anything to add? I'd love to hear from you. And if you like my blog, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share it on Twitter or Google+ it.